AS THE T20 IS HERE, WE SAT DOWN WITH THE SOMERSET COUNTY CRICKET CLUB TEAM AND ASKED THEM A FEW QUESTIONS ABOUT LIFE ON AND OFF THE PITCH. HERE IS OUR CHAT WITH JIM ALLENBY.
- What was your highlight of the grooming day?
It was great fun. We all got stuck in and I had a much closer shave than I have had in a long time. We were really well looked after by everyone at The Real Shaving Company. The best part was watching Leachy having his head shaved bald plus the feeling of it afterwards!
- What is your game day grooming regime?
I try and shave on the day of every game so that I don’t look scruffy!
- What’s your best grooming tips?
Always moisturise to keep a tan.
- Who taught you to shave?
Sadly, no one. The cuts on my face taught me to do it more carefully though.
- Which is your favourite Real Shaving Company product and why?
Obviously, the SPF15 Anti-Ageing Moisturiser. All of the lads who are over 30 are pretty happy with that one!
- Are you enjoying the Natwest T20 Blast? What makes it different to other games? Is there a particular game you enjoy the most?
It’s different because we have bigger crowds and therefore there’s more of an atmosphere. The game I look forward to most is the first Friday night home game. It sold out, Chris Gayle and Mahela Jayawardene were there and the buzz around the first home game is always special.
- How long have you been playing cricket and when did you decide you wanted to be a pro cricketer?
I’ve been playing since I was 4 or 5 in the garden with my brothers and my Dad. I decided when I was 18 or 19, when I kept putting University off for sport.
- How important is sun protection when you’re out playing all day?
Really important. I come from Australia and over there we get taught a lot about sun protection. We’re getting a lot more information about it now over here through the PCA and we all know how important it is.
- Finally, who’s the best groomed player in the team and why?
I’m sure most people have said Peter Trego but now that Jack Leach has had his head shaved at The Grooming Day, I reckon the time he is spending in front of the mirror is more than anyone else in the team.